POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : df3 with Java? : Re: df3 with Java? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: df3 with Java?
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 8 Feb 2004 16:26:04
Message: <4026a96c$1@news.povray.org>
> DF3 files are binary, as opposed to text.

Ups, should have phrased that better. I do know the difference of course.
But I won't go on about how I'm fighting with the flu and having a headache
hinders me from some plain thoughts... Ups again, just did that. ;-)

> Typical density files use one-byte integers for the density values. You
> just have to convert from whatever density range you're using to the
> 0-255 range possible to store in a single byte.

That's the tricky bit: the conversion. I don't know the commands/libraries
I'd have to use with Java to convert float/double to bytes, and then again
which commands/libraries I'd have to use to write them to disk. I'll go
around searching once I actually attempt a df3 stunt, but I thought maybe
someone has had experience with that already, so I asked.

Is it possible to use more than just a single byte? Or would I be getting
myself into trouble (file format-wise) with that?

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>